Asbestos is a substance that was used in building materials. The
substance can enter the body by being inhaled or swallowed. The substance
attaches to the lining of the respiratory and digestive tracts. Contact with
asbestos over time has been linked with cancer.
Most contact with asbestos is work-related. Some older homes may
still have asbestos insulation. Government environmental offices have
information on safety for asbestos contact and removal.
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerKathleen Romito, MD - Family MedicineSpecialist Medical ReviewerAdam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Current as ofMay 3, 2017
Current as of:
May 3, 2017
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Last modified on: 8 September 2017